Wellness Program and Plan
Taliaferro County School
Taliaferro County School is updating the Wellness committee member list for 2017-2018 and would like to promote and encourage community involvement which includes parents, students, the school board, school administrators, faculty/staff and the public. Goal areas in our wellness plan include nutrition education, physical education and activity, and other school-based activities that are designed to promote student wellness.
For more information contact Roslyn Bell at 706-456-2328 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer.
Taliaferro County School
Wellness Plan for Taliaferro County School
Taliaferro County School System has set long-term objectives and goals to prevent and control obesity and other chronic diseases in the children and youth of our community. By establishing these goals, through nutritional and physical education activities, the youth of Taliaferro County will develop into healthy adults and senior citizens.
The Wellness Plan incorporates all federally required components that are under Federal Law 108-265 and the Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act of 2010. The following states the original plan and updates.
Component 1: Nutrition Education Goals
- Menus & nutrition information will be shared with students, families, staff and the community to encourage healthy eating habits.
- Meal participation will be encouraged with the use of posters and signs throughout the dining area.
- Faculty and staff will integrate nutrition education into classroom curriculum.
- Food service staff will participate in professional development to develop a basic knowledge of nutrition to promote healthy eating habits.
- Students will have adequate time to eat breakfast and lunch as recommended by the National Association of State Boards of Education; 10 minutes for breakfast and 20 minutes for lunch (from the time the student is seated).
- New Meal Pattern updates for breakfast and lunch will be implemented.
Component 2: Physical Activity Goals
- Elementary students will participate in regular structured PE classes each year for a minimum of 30 minutes daily. Grades K-5, 45 minutes daily.
- Middle and High School students will participate in scheduled PE classes for a minimum of 45 minutes daily.
- The curriculum will provide a variety of fitness activities that will introduce students to the components of health-related fitness.
- Participation or non-participation in physical education classes will not be used as a way to punish or discipline students.
- Fitness Gram will be incorporated into the physical education program.
Component 3: Establish Nutrition Standards for all Foods Available on School Campus During the School Day
- All foods made available through the nutrition program will meet regulations under the Child Nutrition Act, the School Breakfast Program, and the National School Lunch Program.
- Classroom teachers will be encouraged to offer healthy snacks to replace candy incentives.
- Foods and beverages sold at fundraisers will include healthy meal choices.
- All foods made available on campus will offer healthy meal choices.
- The nutrition program will ensure that all students will have access to the variety and nutritious foods they need to stay healthy.
- The Taliaferro County BOE prohibits the sale of foods of minimal nutritional value from the beginning of the school day through the end of the last meal period at Taliaferro County School.
Component 4: Other School-Based Activities Designed to Promote Student Wellness
- After-school programs, when in session, will encourage physical activity and healthy habit formations.
- Fundraising efforts and rewards programs are supportive of healthy eating habits and staff will be encouraged to use alternative rewards to food.
- Encourage students through classroom education, to limit home television viewing and game playing.
- School nurse will facilitate training for first aid, CPR, and other related health information as it becomes known.
- School nurse, in partnership with the Taliaferro County Health Department, will conduct annual screenings of students for health-related issues, such as hearing, dental, vision, and scoliosis.
- School nurse will show support for the health of all students by communicating with the local and district health departments.
- School nurse will educate students on proper handwashing techniques in order to help decrease the spread of germs and prevention of colds and flu.
- School nurse will encourage participation in the dental fluoride program to promote healthy teeth and gums.
Component 5: Implementation
The Superintendent or designee shall be responsible for overseeing the implementation of the wellness policy and shall develop procedures for evaluation including indicators that may be used to measure the school’s success in meeting the goals set forth herein. In the school, the principal or designee shall be charged with operational responsibility for ensuring that the school work toward meeting the goals set within the wellness policy and shall report on the school’s compliance to the Superintendent or designee.
School food service staff at the school or district level shall monitor compliance with nutrition guidelines within school food service areas and will report on this matter to the Superintendent at the district level or to the school principal. The Superintendent or designee shall develop an annual summary report on district compliance with the wellness policy, based on input from the school. That report shall be provided to the Board and upon request to interested parties